All of our products are individually packaged. Each product contains a unique 12-digit UPC Barcode.
Our AweSome products will exceed your expectations for Quality, Usefulness and Value.
(Click Image for Larger Size)
T4 Upgrade With Pickups
T4 Upgrade For Standard
Open or Covered Pickups
ID: 005 Classic Series '72 Telecaster Thinline Upgrade
This quality 3-ply White AweSome Upgrade product is for your standard right-hand Fender Classic Series '72 Telecaster Thinline HH guitar with two Wide Range Humbucker pickups. This product gives you More pickup tones on your upgraded instrument.
This drop-in, no body routing product has everything you need to install into your standard right-hand Classic Series '72 Telecaster Thinline guitar. This upgrade pickguard has 12 holes to attach it to your guitar.
Instruments That Can Be Upgraded
You can upgrade the following instruments:
- Classic Series '72 Telecaster Thinline
- Squier Vintage Modified '72 Thinline Telecaster
- All similar "clone" instruments with 12-screw attaching pickguard holes
Note: On some models, you may need to redrill mounting holes, remove pickguard material or body cavity material. Purchasing this AweSome Upgrade means that you are OK with, and accept that possibility.
Your instrument contains two Wide Range Humbucker pickups. These two coils on these pickups are somewhat asymmetric (see discussion below.) Although they can be configured as 4-wire versions, the manufacturer set them up as 2-wire versions.
We include two lengths of 4-wire shielded cable so you can easily convert your Wide Range Humbucker pickups from their "stock" 2-wire version to a superior 4-wire version.
The following AweSome Upgrade variations and options are available for this instrument:
(the "no pickups" versions let you save money using your own pickups)
(the "pickups" versions come complete with pickups.
- T4 (no pickups) - you install your own 4-wire humbucker pickups to get 68 pickup tones.
- T4 (with pickups) – you connect your input jack wires and drop it in to get 68 pickup tones.
How It Works
Using Our T4-Switch
The other version of our AweSome Upgrade uses our T4-Switch (with optional push-pull control) to control your two Wide Range Humbucker pickups that you have altered to become 4-wire versions.
(this is also how our upgrades that include pickups work)
Here is how the mini-toggle controls of our T4-Switch product are laid out.
There are really two "groups" of switches:
(SW1, S5B, SW2) -and- (SW3, S5N, SW4)
(control bridge coils) (control neck coils)
Here is how the switches are used:
Switches SW1, SW2, SW3 and SW4 are ON-OFF-ON switches used to turn an individual pickup coil Off and On. The middle position of each switch is Off. The down position turns the pickup On (in normal-phase) and the Up position turns the pickup On (in reverse-phase).
Switches S5B and S5N are ON-ON (a.k.a. ON-NONE-ON) switches that are used to put select pickup coils into a Series circuit when in the Up position. When Down, the select pickup coils are in a Parallel circuit. Pretty simple, don't you agree?
When switches S5B and S5N are in the Down position, you will get 29 different pickup tones from the various combinations of four pickup coils being Off or On (either in normal-phase or in reverse-phase) using switches SW1, SW2, SW3 and SW4. These pickup tones are also due to the combination of pickup coils being in a Parallel circuit.
The other switches (S5B and S5N) are ON-ON (a.k.a. ON-NONE-ON) switches are used to put select pickup coils into a Series circuit. Here are two things you must remember when putting pickup coils into a Series circuit:
First, putting two pickup coils in Series circuit creates a "Compound" (i.e., Humbucker) pickup that gives you about 8 to 15 percent More output (think Heavy Metal/Jazz tone).
Second, because the pickup coils are in a Series circuit, BOTH of the affected pickup coils that are in a Series circuit MUST be On (either in normal-phase or reverse-phase). Any non-Series circuit pickup can be either Off or On (either in normal-phase or reverse-phase).
What Each Switch Controls
Switch SW1: Turns on (south bridge) pickup coil #1 (down is normal-phase, up is reverse-phase, center is Off.)
Switch S5B: Puts both (bridge) pickup coils #1 and #2 into a Series circuit when Up. Both pickup coils MUST be On.
Switch SW2: Turns on (north bridge) pickup coil #2 (down is normal-phase, up is reverse-phase, center is Off.)
Switch SW3: Turns on (south neck) pickup coil (down is normal-phase, up is reverse-phase, center is Off.)
Switch S5N: Puts both (neck) pickups into a Series circuit when Up. Both pickup coils MUST be On.
Switch SW4: Turns on (north neck) pickup coil (down is normal-phase, up is reverse-phase, center is Off.)
In summary, the various combinations of all of these switches and the push-pull tone control will give you 68 pickup tones.
This page has MP3 sound clips to let you hear the result our T4-Switch upgrade offers you.
Here Is What Is Included
You can select one of the following options:
- One (ID: 005a) Classic Series '72 Telecaster Thinline 3-ply White upgrade that is completely wired. You just install your standard covered or open 4-wire humbucker pickups, connect your pickup wires to the green solderless terminal strip and connect the two marked upgrade wires to your input jack. This upgrade comes with our T4-Switch, high quality 500K Bourns controls and a ceramic .047 mfd capacitor to give you 68 pickup tones.
- One (ID: 005b) Classic Series '72 Telecaster Thinline 3-ply White upgrade that is completely wired. It includes our standard 4-wire humbucker pickups. You just connect the two marked upgrade wires to your input jack and attach it to your guitar. This upgrade includes our AweSome standard 4-wire humbucker pickups and comes with our T4-Switch, high quality 500K Bourns controls and a ceramic .047 mfd capacitor to give you 68 pickup tones.
(depending on your choice, some or all of the following items may be included)
- 14" (35.5cm) long cable to rewire the Neck pickup
- 12" (30.5cm) long cable to rewire the Bridge pickup
- 12" (30.5cm) insulated 22-gauge red wire (to extend existing wires if needed)
- 12" (30.5cm) insulated 22-gauge black wire (to extend existing wires if needed)
- 4 yellow/clear solderless crimp connectors (UY2)
- 2 grey wire nuts (71B)
- URL to download easy-to-follow instructions from our website Document Library
Tools You Need To Install This Product
You need the following tools (not supplied with purchase). Purchaser assumes all risk of liability with respect to the purchase, installation and use of this product.
- Wire cutters / wire strippers
- Small pliers
- Small phillips screwdriver, small straight slot screwdriver
- Soldering iron (30 watt maximum), 60/40 rosin core solder
To Purchase this Product
Shipping: All products are shipped via United States Postal Service. Allow 7-10 days for delivery. Shipping Details: Shipping generally occurs within three business days of payment.
Saturday, Sunday and postal holidays are not business days.
Notes: Ask questions before purchasing. Purchaser assumes all risk of liability with respect to the installation and use of these products.
This switching system cannot be used with active (battery-powered) pickups or pizeo pickups.
Active (i.e., battery-powered) pickups manufactured by Bartolini, EMG, Seymour Duncan, etc. will not work with our growing family of high performance patented Pickup Switch UpgradeTM products. These active pickups use a design that prevents any of the pickups from being put into series because it sends -9VDC back to the first pickup, shorting out the circuit. Although some manufacturers now sell "add on" products to give you some of the functionality that our products automatically provide, this design limits their versatility and increases the cost to the musician. Many people who have tried these products remove them because they are "too sterile sounding". Anything that uses batteries will likely go dead at a crucial time - like when you're performing or in the recording studio. Bill Lawrence was right when he said, "Batteries belong in flashlights."