All of our products are individually packaged. Each product contains a unique 12-digit UPC Barcode.
Our AweSome products will exceed your expectations for Quality, Usefulness and Value.
(Click Image for Larger Size)
ID: 003 A Telecaster Upgrade for 4-pickup coil instruments
This assembled and tested chrome steel Telecaster control plate upgrade is for your American Standard Telecaster with HSS or HH pickup configuration; where 4-wire humbucker pickups are used.
Different Product Versions Available
You can order this product with the following pre-installed options:
- T4-Switch and VT-2 controls (gives you 68 pickup tones from four separate pickup coils)
(you must replace your "stock" bridge humbucker with a 4-wire humbucker pickup)
- T4-Switch and VT-3 controls (gives you 102 pickup tones from four separate pickup coils)
(you must replace your "stock" bridge humbucker with a 4-wire humbucker pickup)
This product is completely wired and contains a single volume control and tone control (we use quality Bourns 500K audio taper right-hand mini potentiometers) with matching knobs, and .047 mfd capacitor. Following the downloaded Installation Instructions it will take you about fifteen minutes to remove your existing control plate, connect your pickup wires to the solderless terminal strip and a HUGE, alternate tone dimension will instantly open up to you. This product includes everything you need to install this upgrade into your right-hand or left-hand instrument.
It gives you two groups of three mini switches. One group controls two of the pickup coils, letting you turn each one on and off (both in normal phase and reverse phase) and also lets you select whether the two pickup coils will be in a parallel or series circuit. Putting pickup coils in a series circuit to create compound/humbucker heavy-metal pickup tones. The other group of three mini switches lets you control the other two pickup coils in the identical way already described. Connecting your pickup and input wires to this product uses a no-soldering-needed approach.
Clearance dimensions: 0.94 wide, 3.05 long, 1.15 deep (2.38cm x 7.75cm x 2.92cm).
Switch Hole Spacing: 1/2 (12.7mm) center-to-center; Mounting Diameter: 9.32 (7.14mm)
NOTE: Instruments made in china may not adhere to true American Fender body routing specifications and may require minor body cavity changes where the body cavity is not deep or wide enough to permit this product to be mounted flush. See our Document Library item
"6. Telecaster Control Plate Installation Instructions" (page 10) for more information.
Instruments That Can Be Upgraded
Instruments that can be upgraded with this product include (but is not limited to):
- American Standard Telecaster HH
- Blacktop Telecaster HH
- Modern Player Telecaster PLUS (requires true 4-wire humbucker pickup)
- Seymour Duncan 35 HH
- Squier J5 Telecaster HH
- Standard Telecaster HH
- Any similar instrument with either two 4-wire humbucker pickups, or one 4-wire humbucker pickup and two single-coil pickups, or four single-coil pickups
- If your instrument contains any of the following items, our product does not include them; personality cards, greasebucket circuit, passing lane switch, S1 Switch, push-push mini switch, TBX or mid boost circuit or any special controls beyond the standard 3-way or 5-way switch.
- Coil tapped pickups must be connected as standard 2-wire pickups.
- Instruments with HH pickup configuration requires two 4-wire humbucker pickups.
- Active (i.e, battery-powered) pickups or piezoelectric pickups cannot be used with these switch products.
Using The Upgrade
Here is how the mini-toggle controls of our T4-Switch product are laid out.
There are really two "groups" of switches:
(S1B, S5B, S2B) -and- (S1N, S5N, S2N)
(control bridge coils) (control neck coils)
Here is how the switches are used:
Switches SW1, SW2, SW3 and SW4 are ON-OFF-ON switches used to turn an individual pickup coil Off and On. The middle position of each switch is Off. The down position turns the pickup On (in normal-phase) and the Up position turns the pickup On (in reverse-phase).
Switches S5B and S5N are ON-ON (a.k.a. ON-NONE-ON) switches that are used to put select pickup coils into a Series circuit when in the Up position. When Down, the select pickup coils are in a Parallel circuit. Pretty simple, don't you agree?
When switches S5B and S5N are in the Down position, you will get 29 different pickup tones from the various combinations of four pickup coils being Off or On (either in normal-phase or in reverse-phase) using switches S1B, S1N, S2B and S2N. These pickup tones are also due to the combination of pickup coils being in a Parallel circuit.
The other switches (S5B and S5N) are ON-ON (a.k.a. ON-NONE-ON) switches are used to put select pickup coils into a Series circuit. Here are two things you must remember when putting pickup coils into a Series circuit:
First, putting two pickup coils in Series circuit creates a "Compound" (i.e., Humbucker) pickup that gives you about 8 to 15 percent More output (think Heavy Metal/Jazz tone).
Second, because the pickup coils are in a Series circuit, BOTH of the affected pickup coils that are in a Series circuit MUST be On (either in normal-phase or reverse-phase). Any non-Series circuit pickup can be either Off or On (either in normal-phase or reverse-phase).
What Each Switch Controls
Switch SW1: Turns on pickup coil #1 (down is normal-phase, up is reverse-phase, center is Off.)
Switch S5B: Puts both coils #1 and #2 into a Series circuit when Up. Both pickup coils MUST be On.
Switch SW2: Turns on pickup coil #2 (down is normal-phase, up is reverse-phase, center is Off.)
Switch SW3: Turns on pickup coil #3 (down is normal-phase, up is reverse-phase, center is Off.)
Switch S5N: Puts both coils #3 and #4 into a Series circuit when Up. Both pickup coils MUST be On.
Switch SW4: Turns on pickup coil #4 (down is normal-phase, up is reverse-phase, center is Off.)
For product ID 003a, the various combinations of all of these switches will give you 68 pickup tones.
For product ID 003b, the Tone control push-pull pot puts the north bridge and south neck pickup coils into a series circuit. This gives you 20 additional pickup tones, several of which are QuadraBuckerTM pickup tones (all four pickup coils in series).
For product ID 003b, the various combinations of all of these switches and the push-pull tone control will give you 102 pickup tones.
Here Is What Is Included
You can select one of the following options:
- One (ID: 003a) Telecaster Upgrade complete with our T4-Switch and VT-2 Volume/Tone control that is completely wired. You just connect your pickup wires to the green solderless terminal strip and connect the two marked upgrade wires to your input jack. This upgrade uses high quality 500K Bourns controls and a ceramic .047 mfd capacitor to give you 68 pickup tones.
- One (ID: 003b) Telecaster Upgrade complete with our T4-Switch and VT-3 Volume/Tone control that is completely wired. You just connect your pickup wires to the green solderless terminal strip and connect the two marked upgrade wires to your input jack. This upgrade comes uses high quality 500K Bourns controls and a ceramic .047 mfd capacitor to give you 102 pickup tones.
(depending on your choice, some or all of the following items may be included)
- 12" (30.48cm) insulated 22-gauge red wire (to extend existing wires if needed)
- 12" (30.48cm) insulated 22-gauge black wire (to extend existing wires if needed)
- 4 yellow/clear solderless crimp connectors (UY2)
- 2 grey wire nuts (71B)
- URL to download easy-to-follow instructions from our website Document Library
Tools You Need To Install This Product
You need the following tools (not supplied with purchase). Purchaser assumes all risk of liability with respect to the purchase, installation and use of this product.
- Wire cutters / wire strippers
- Small pliers
- Small phillips screwdriver, small straight slot screwdriver
One-Year Return Policy
Our AweSome return policy accepts all returns. We now offer an unprecedented One-Year Return Guarantee on all ALL our upgrade products. This means that You can use this incredible AweSome Upgrade for an entire 365 days. If you don't agree this is the greatest product ever, return it for a refund no questions asked.
In addition, our "core" Pickup Switch Upgrade switch products (T2-Switch, T3-Switch, T4-Switch) now come with a Lifetime Guarantee. If it ever fails, we will repair or replace it (see our website FAQ for details.) Return shipping and insurance paid by purchaser. User-assembled KIT versions of our "core" Pickup Switch Upgrade products are not covered by our Lifetime Guarantee.
Buyer receives full refund in their original payment method less any shipping and handling charges.
To Purchase this Product
Consider Adding The Following Related Customer-Installed Items
Shipping: All products are shipped via United States Postal Service. Allow 7-10 days for delivery. Shipping Details: Shipping generally occurs within three business days of payment.
Saturday, Sunday and postal holidays are not business days.
Notes: Ask questions before purchasing. Purchaser assumes all risk of liability with respect to the installation and use of these products.
This switching system cannot be used with active (battery-powered) pickups or pizeo pickups.
Active (i.e., battery-powered) pickups manufactured by Bartolini, EMG, Seymour Duncan, etc. will not work with our growing family of high performance patented Pickup Switch UpgradeTM products. These active pickups use a design that prevents any of the pickups from being put into series because it sends -9VDC back to the first pickup, shorting out the circuit. Although some manufacturers now sell "add on" products to give you some of the functionality that our products automatically provide, this design limits their versatility and increases the cost to the musician. Many people who have tried these products remove them because they are "too sterile sounding". Anything that uses batteries will likely go dead at a crucial time - like when you're performing or in the recording studio. Bill Lawrence was right when he said, "Batteries belong in flashlights."