All of our products are individually packaged. Each product contains a unique 12-digit UPC Barcode.
Our AweSome products will exceed your expectations for Quality, Usefulness and Value.
(Click Image for Larger Size)
ID: 002 A Telecaster Upgrade for 3-pickup coil instruments
This assembled and tested chrome steel Telecaster control plate upgrade is for your American Standard Telecaster with SSS or HS pickup configuration; where 4-wire humbucker pickups are used.
This product is completely wired and contains our VT-2 Volume-Tone Control Assembly (wired for right-hand use) with matching knobs with a .047 mfd capacitor. Following the downloaded Installation Instructions it will take you about fifteen minutes to remove your existing control plate, connect your pickup wires to the solderless terminal strip — and a HUGE, alternate tone dimension will instantly open up to you. This product includes everything you need to install this upgrade into your right-hand or left-hand instrument.
It gives you two groups of three mini switches. One group controls each of the pickup coils, letting you turn each one on and off (both in normal phase and reverse phase) with all combinations in a parallel circuit. The other group lets you put select pickup coils into a series circuit to create compound/humbucker heavy-metal pickup tones. Connecting your pickup and input wires to this product uses a no-soldering-needed approach.
Clearance dimensions: 0.94” wide, 3.05” long, 1.15” deep (2.38cm x 7.75cm x 2.92cm).
Switch Hole Spacing: 1/2” (12.7mm) center-to-center; Mounting Diameter: 9.32” (7.14mm)
NOTE: Instruments made in china may not adhere to true American Fender body routing specifications and may require minor body cavity changes where the body cavity is not deep or wide enough to permit this product to be mounted flush. See our Document Library item
"6. Telecaster Control Plate Installation Instructions" (page 10) for more information.
Want MORE Versatility?
These Nashville Telecaster upgrades let you do the following things after you install this upgrade:
(These are things you CANNOT on your standard Nashville Tele!)
- Turn on both the Bridge and Neck pickups in normal-phase and in parallel to make it sound like a "standard" Telecaster.
- Put the Bridge and Neck pickups in normal-phase and in series to create a well-rounded Jazz sound.
- Put the Bridge and Neck pickups in reverse-phase and in parallel to get glass-shattering country twang sound.
- Put the Bridge and Neck pickups in reverse-phase and in series to get a more robust country twang sound.
- Put any/all pickups in either normal-phase or reverse-phase.
- Put any/all pickups in either parallel or series.
- You can turn on all three pickups at the same time.
- Our tone control even lets you "tame" the harshness of the bridge pickup.
- You will still have your original 5 pickup tones, but you will have 30 additional unique (35 total) pickup tones.
This upgrade also gives you those Brian May (guitarist for Queen) "red special" pickup sounds because you can instantly put any two or all three pickups into series (you cannot do this on your standard Stratocaster.) And when you put two select pickups in series, you can turn on the remaining pickup in parallel (either in normal-phase or reverse-phase) and this is something even Brian May's red special guitar cannot do. This upgrade will give you incredible pickup tones that are so "Fat" they're OBESE!
This EZ-Install AweSome upgrade for your Nashville Telecaster gives you complete and total control over your pickups. And because you can independently control each pickup, you can turn each one on in normal-phase or reverse-phase, and you can also put them in parallel-connection or series-connection with one or more pickups. The bottom line is that you can get 35 pickup tones from your AweSome upgraded Stratocaster that currently gives you only five pickup tones.
This unique upgrade also gives you the Signature Sounds of ALL guitar gods of every headliner group since the 1940s.
When used In The Studio, your AweSome upgraded Nashville Telecaster will have an incredible spectrum of 35 unique pickup tones that are impossible to produce with a "stock" instrument.
When used On Stage, your upgraded Nashville Tele will give you incredible Signature Sounds that nobody else can easily duplicate. And over time, you can even "morph" your Signature Sounds to keep your fans interested in what you offer.
Nothing on earth can give you MORE Pure Analog Pickup Tone Power than these unique AweSome upgrades.
Instruments That Can Be Upgraded
Instruments that can be upgraded with this product include (but is not limited to):
- American Nashville B-Bender Telecaster
- Big Block Telecaster
- Black Top Telecaster Baritone
- Blackout Telecaster
- Classic Player Triple Tele (requires each pickup's case ground wire be unsoldered from black wire connection and a separate case ground wire attached)
- Custom Shop '62 Mod Squad Telecaster Custom
- Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
- Hot Rodded American Fat Telecaster
- James Burton Telecaster
- Modern Player Telecaster Plus
- Nashville B-Bender Telecaster
- Select Carved Blackwood Top Telecaster SH
- Telecaster Plus
- U.S. Fat Telecaster
- Vintage Hot Rod '52 Telecaster
- Any similar instrument with either three single-coil pickups or one 4-wire humbucker pickup and one single-coil pickup
- If your instrument contains any of the following items, our product does not include them; personality cards, greasebucket circuit, passing lane switch, S1 Switch, push-push mini switch, TBX or mid boost circuit or any special controls beyond the standard 3-way or 5-way switch.
- Coil tapped pickups must be connected as standard 2-wire pickups.
- Instruments with HS or SH pickup configuration require a 4-wire humbucker pickup.
- Active (i.e, battery-powered) pickups or piezoelectric pickups cannot be used with these switch products.
Using The Upgrade
Here is how the switches of the T3-Switch product are laid out from rear to front:
(Special Note: Plastic Tone and Volume knobs are used to show the location of these controls. Your upgrade comes with knurled chrome control knobs.)
(guitar rear) SW4 SW5 SW6 SW1 SW2 SW3 (guitar front)
There are two "groups" of switches: (SW4, SW5, SW6) -and- (SW1, SW2, SW3)
The first group of switches (SW1, SW2 and SW3) are ON-OFF-ON switches used to turn an individual pickup Off and On. The middle position of each switch is Off. The down position turns the pickup On (in normal-phase) and the Up position turns the pickup on (in reverse-phase). Pretty simple, don't you agree?
Switch SW1 controls the Bridge pickup,
Switch SW2 controls the Middle pickup and
Switch SW3 controls the Neck pickup.
When you use these three switches (while switches SW4, SW5, SW6 all in the Down position), you will get 13 different pickup tones from the various combinations of three pickup coils being Off or On (either in normal-phase or in reverse-phase). These pickup tones are also due to the combination of pickup coils being in a Parallel circuit.
The second group of switches (SW4, SW5 and SW6) are ON-ON switches are used to put select pickups into a Series circuit. Two things to remember when using this second group of switches:
First, putting two or three pickups in Series circuit creates a "Compound" (i.e., Humbucker) pickup that gives you about 8 to 15 percent More output (think Heavy Metal/Jazz tone).
Second, because the pickups are in a Series circuit, ALL of the affected pickups that are in a Series circuit MUST be On (either in normal-phase or reverse-phase). Any non-Series circuit pickup can be either Off or On (either in normal-phase or reverse-phase).
Using the Second Group of Switches
Starting with switches SW4, SW5 and SW6 in the Down position;
If you only put switch SW4 into the Up position, this puts both the Bridge pickup and Middle pickup into a Series circuit. This means you MUST turn On both the Bridge pickup and the Middle pickup using switches SW1 and SW2 (either in normal-phase or reverse-phase) to hear any sound. In this example, the Neck pickup (controlled by SW3) can be either Off or On (in normal-phase or reverse-phase).
If you only put switch SW5 into the Up position, this puts both the Bridge pickup and Neck pickup into a Series circuit. This means you MUST turn On both the Bridge pickup and the Neck pickup using switches SW1 and SW3 (either in normal-phase or reverse-phase) to hear any sound. In this example, the Middle pickup (controlled by SW2) can be either Off or On (in normal-phase or reverse-phase).
If you only put switch SW6 into the Up position, this puts both the Middle pickup and Neck pickup into a Series circuit. This means you MUST turn On both the Middle pickup and the Neck pickup using switches SW2 and SW3 (either in normal-phase or reverse-phase) to hear any sound. In this example, the Bridge pickup (controlled by SW1) can be either Off or On (in normal-phase or reverse-phase).
If you put both switches SW4 and SW6 into the Up position, this puts all three pickups into a Series circuit. This means you MUST turn On ALL of the pickups using switches SW1, SW2 and SW3 (either in normal-phase or reverse-phase) to hear any sound. This gives you an incredible overdriven bass sound in spades. It also gives you Brian May's heavy metal tones.
In summary, the combinations of these switches will give you 35 pickup tones.
Here Is What Is Included
- One (ID: 002a) Telecaster Upgrade complete with our T3-Switch and VT-2 Volume/Tone control that is completely wired. You just connect your pickup wires to the green solderless terminal strip and connect the two marked upgrade wires to your input jack. This upgrade uses high quality 500K Bourns controls and a ceramic .047 mfd capacitor to give you 35 pickup tones.
- 12" (30.48cm) insulated 22-gauge red wire (to extend existing pickup or input wires if needed)
- 12" (30.48cm) insulated 22-gauge black wire (to extend existing pickup or input wires if needed)
- 4 yellow/clear solderless crimp connectors (UY2)
- 2 grey wire nuts (71B)
- URL to download easy-to-follow instructions from our website Document Library
Tools You Need To Install This Product
You need the following tools (not supplied with purchase). Purchaser assumes all risk of liability with respect to the purchase, installation and use of this product.
- Wire cutters / wire strippers
- Small pliers
- Small phillips screwdriver, small straight slot screwdriver
To Purchase this Product
Consider Adding The Following Related Customer-Installed Items
Shipping: All products are shipped via United States Postal Service. Allow 7-10 days for delivery. Shipping Details: Shipping generally occurs within three business days of payment.
Saturday, Sunday and postal holidays are not business days.
Notes: Ask questions before purchasing. Purchaser assumes all risk of liability with respect to the installation and use of these products.
This switching system cannot be used with active (battery-powered) pickups or pizeo pickups.
Active (i.e., battery-powered) pickups manufactured by Bartolini, EMG, Seymour Duncan, etc. will not work with our growing family of high performance patented Pickup Switch UpgradeTM products. These active pickups use a design that prevents any of the pickups from being put into series because it sends -9VDC back to the first pickup, shorting out the circuit. Although some manufacturers now sell "add on" products to give you some of the functionality that our products automatically provide, this design limits their versatility and increases the cost to the musician. Many people who have tried these products remove them because they are "too sterile sounding". Anything that uses batteries will likely go dead at a crucial time - like when you're performing or in the recording studio. Bill Lawrence was right when he said, "Batteries belong in flashlights."