All of our products are individually packaged. Each product contains a unique 12-digit UPC Barcode.
Our AweSome products will exceed your expectations for Quality, Usefulness and Value.
(Click Image for Larger Size)
ID: 001 A Telecaster Upgrade for 2-pickup coil instruments
This assembled and tested chrome steel Telecaster upgrade contains our high performance T2-Switch to give you 6 pickup tones on your instrument with two separate pickup coils (either two single-coil pickups or one 4-wire humbucker pickup).
This product is completely wired and contains our VT-2 Volume-Tone Control Assembly (wired for right-hand use) with matching knobs with a .047 mfd capacitor. Following the downloaded Installation Instructions it will take you about fifteen minutes to remove your existing control plate, connect your pickup wires to the solderless terminal strip and a HUGE, alternate tone dimension will instantly open up to you. This product includes everything you need to install this upgrade into your right-hand or left-hand instrument.
It gives you three mini switches. Two of the switches let you turn each pickup coil on and off (both in normal phase and reverse phase). The third switch lets you select whether the two pickup coils will be in a parallel or series circuit. Putting pickup coils in a series circuit to create compound/humbucker heavy-metal pickup tones. Connecting your pickup and input wires to this product uses a no-soldering-needed approach.
"I now find the three available tone selections on my stock instrument are very limiting after installing your upgrade. I still have the stock three sounds but the extra three sounds produced are distinct and useful. I love the setting that gives you both pickups in series (and in-phase) that a stock instrument cannot provide. The result is a very strong but beautifully rounded jazz-like tone, something you can't get out of a stock Telecaster. Hearing those additional two new intense and out-of-phase country twang tones (in both series and parallel version) gave me goosebumps. These glass-shattering tones will punch out windows at 30 paces. Skimming through the documents that I downloaded showcases the awesome level of detail provided, certainly far more extensive than any other products that I have seen. Very well done!" Graham Mann (Australia).
Nice To Know: If you change your instrument's pickup configuration so it has more than two pickup coils, you can easily swap out our T2-Switch for one of our switches that is designed to leverage the increased pickup coils.
For example, if you upgrade your instrument from two pickup coils to three pickup coils (e.g., three single-coil pickups - similar to a "nashville tele" style instrument; or replace a single-coil pickup with a 4-wire humbucker) then you can use our T3-Switch to produce 35 pickup tones.
Upgrading your instrument with four pickup coils (e.g., two 4-wire humbucker pickups; or one 4-wire humbucker and two single-coil pickups) means you can use our T4-Switch to produce 68 pickup tones. And by installing a push-pull pot, you can get put all four pickup coils in series giving you 88 pickup tones several of which are QuadraBuckerTM pickup tones.
Clearance dimensions: 0.94 wide x 1.75 long x 1.15 deep (2.38cm x 4.45cm x 2.92cm).
Switch Hole Spacing: 1/2 (12.7mm) center-to-center; Mounting Diameter: 9.32 (7.14mm)
NOTE: Instruments made in china may not adhere to true American Fender body routing specifications and may require minor body cavity changes where the body cavity is not deep or wide enough to permit this product to be mounted flush. See our Document Library item
"6. Telecaster Control Plate Installation Instructions" (page 10) for more information.
The following audio clips demonstrate the typical range of sound you can get from our T2 Pickup Switch UpgradeTM product.
Bridge and Neck Pickup (in parallel, normal phase)
Bridge and Neck Pickup (in parallel, reverse phase)
Bridge and Neck Pickup (in series, normal phase)
Bridge and Neck Pickup (in series, reverse phase)
Instruments That Can Be Upgraded
Instruments that can be upgraded with this product include (but is not limited to):
- '62 Telecaster
- 2016 Limited Edition American Standard Offset Telecaster
- 2016 Limited Edition American Standard Telecaster
- Affinity Series Telecaster
- American Deluxe Telecaster
- American Elite Telecaster
- American Professional Telecaster
- American Special Telecaster
- American Standard Telecaster
- American Standard Telecaster HH
- American Vintage '52 Telecaster
- American Vintage '58 Telecaster
- American Vintage '64 Telecaster
- Black and Chrome Standard Telecaster
- Blacktop Telecaster HH
- Classic Player Baja '60s Telecaster
- Classic Player Baja Telecaster
- Classic Series '50s Esquire
- Classic Series '50s Telecaster
- Classic Series '60s Telecaster
- Classic Vibe Telecaster '50
- Classic Vibe Telecaster '50s
- Classic Vibe Telecaster Custom
- James Burton Standard Telecaster
- Limited Edition American Standard Double Cut Telecaster
- Limited Edition American Standard Telecaster HH
- Richie Kotzen Telecaster
- Road Worn '50s Telecaster
- Road Worn Player Telecaster
- Select Carved Blackwood Top Telecaster SH
- Select Carved Koa Top Telecaster
- Select Carved Maple Top Telecaster
- Select Telecaster
- Squier Standard Telecaster
- Squier J5 Telecaster
- Standard Tele
- Standard Telecaster
- Standard Telecaster HH
- Vintage Modified Telecaster Bass Special
- Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
- Wilko Johnson Signature Tele
- Any similar instrument with either one 4-wire humbucker pickup or two single-coil pickups
- If your instrument contains any of the following items, our product does not include them; personality cards, greasebucket circuit, passing lane switch, S1 Switch, push-push mini switch, TBX or mid boost circuit or any special controls beyond the standard 3-way or 5-way switch.
- Coil tapped pickups must be connected as standard 2-wire pickups.
- Active (i.e, battery-powered) pickups or piezoelectric pickups cannot be used with these switch products.
Using The T2 Upgrade
Here is how you use the controls of our T2-Switch product.
(Special Note: We used Plastic Tone and Volume knobs to clearly show the location of these controls. However, your upgrade comes with knurled chrome control knobs.)
Using our T2-Switch, you can
- Turn the Bridge pickup On,
- Turn the Neck pickup On,
- Turn the Bridge AND Neck pickups On in Parallel connection and in Normal Phase
(the above three pickup tones are what you get with the stock 3-way blade switch.)
(the below three pickup tones are ones that you cannot get with your stock instrument.)
- Turn the Bridge AND Neck pickups On in Parallel connection and in Reverse Phase
(gives you a glass-shattering country twang tone that you can't get with the stock instrument.)
So with Switch SW5 in the Down position, you get the four pickup tones described above. You can turn on the Bridge pickup by itself, the Neck pickup alone, both the Bridge and Neck pickup together (in normal phase), as well as the Bridge and Neck pickup together (in reverse phase).
When you put Switch SW5 in the Up position, you get two additional pickup tones with both pickups connected in Series. This gives you a warmer and more humbucking Jazz tone, that you just cannot get with your stock instrument.
- When you turn on both the Bridge AND Neck pickups On in Series and in Normal Phase
(you get a well rounded Humbucker-like Jazz tone you can't get with the stock instrument.)
- With both the Bridge AND neck pickups On in Series connection and in Reverse Phase
(you get an intense and pronounced country twang tone that you can't get with the stock instrument.)
Here is how it works.
- Switch SW1 controls the Bridge pickup. Center position is Off, Down position in normal phase, Up position is reverse phase.
- Switch SW5 controls whether the two pickups are in a parallel connection (down) or a series connection (up)
- Switch SW3 controls the Neck pickup. Center position is Off, Down position in normal phase, Up position is reverse phase.
With Switch SW5 in the Up position, both pickups must be On (either in normal phase or reverse phase) or you will not hear any output. This is because the two pickups will be in a series circuit.
In summary, the combinations of these switches will give you an incredible six pickup tones and is so simple for you to use.
Here Is What Is Included
- One (ID: 001a) Telecaster Upgrade complete with our T2-Switch and VT-2 Volume/Tone control that is completely wired. You just connect your pickup wires to the green solderless terminal strip and connect the two marked upgrade wires to your input jack. This upgrade uses high quality 500K Bourns controls and a ceramic .047 mfd capacitor to give you 6 pickup tones.
- 12" (30.48cm) insulated 22-gauge red wire (to extend existing wires if needed)
- 12" (30.48cm) insulated 22-gauge black wire (to extend existing wires if needed)
- 4 yellow/clear solderless crimp connectors (UY2)
- 2 grey wire nuts (71B)
- URL to download easy-to-follow instructions from our website Document Library
Tools You Need To Install This Product
You need the following tools (not supplied with purchase). Purchaser assumes all risk of liability with respect to the purchase, installation and use of this product.
- Wire cutters / wire strippers
- Small pliers
- Small phillips screwdriver, small straight slot screwdriver
One-Year Return Policy
Our AweSome return policy accepts all returns. We now offer an unprecedented One-Year Return Guarantee on all ALL our upgrade products. This means that You can use this incredible AweSome Upgrade for an entire 365 days. If you don't agree this is the greatest product ever, return it for a refund no questions asked.
In addition, our "core" Pickup Switch Upgrade switch products (T2-Switch, T3-Switch, T4-Switch) now come with a Lifetime Guarantee. If it ever fails, we will repair or replace it (see our website FAQ for details.) Return shipping and insurance paid by purchaser. User-assembled KIT versions of our "core" Pickup Switch Upgrade products are not covered by our Lifetime Guarantee.
Buyer receives full refund in their original payment method less any shipping and handling charges.
To Purchase this Product
Consider Adding The Following Related Customer-Installed Items
Shipping: All products are shipped via United States Postal Service. Allow 7-10 days for delivery. Shipping Details: Shipping generally occurs within three business days of payment.
Saturday, Sunday and postal holidays are not business days.
Notes: Ask questions before purchasing. Purchaser assumes all risk of liability with respect to the installation and use of these products.
This switching system cannot be used with active (battery-powered) pickups or pizeo pickups.
Active (i.e., battery-powered) pickups manufactured by Bartolini, EMG, Seymour Duncan, etc. will not work with our growing family of high performance patented Pickup Switch UpgradeTM products. These active pickups use a design that prevents any of the pickups from being put into series because it sends -9VDC back to the first pickup, shorting out the circuit. Although some manufacturers now sell "add on" products to give you some of the functionality that our products automatically provide, this design limits their versatility and increases the cost to the musician. Many people who have tried these products remove them because they are "too sterile sounding". Anything that uses batteries will likely go dead at a crucial time - like when you're performing or in the recording studio. Bill Lawrence was right when he said, "Batteries belong in flashlights."